Losing weight can be challenging, but keeping it off can be even more difficult. If you’ve lost weight with the help of GLP-1 medications, you may be wondering what happens when you stop taking them and how to maintain a healthy weight long-term. Here are some tips to help you keep the weight off after stopping GLP-1 medications:
- Focus on protein: Protein is more filling than carbohydrates or fats, so it can help you feel satisfied and reduce your overall calorie intake. Aim to include a source of protein at each meal, such as meat, chicken, fish, eggs, or tofu.
- Make vegetables the centerpiece: Vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber, which can help you feel full and satisfied. Make sure to include plenty of non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, kale, and peppers, in your meals.
- Eat three meals per day without snacking: Eating three balanced meals per day can help you maintain a steady blood sugar level and prevent overeating. Avoid snacking between meals, as it can lead to consuming extra calories.
- Choose whole foods over processed foods: Whole foods are typically more filling and nutritious than processed foods, which are often high in calories, sugar, and unhealthy fats. Choose whole grains, fruits, and vegetables instead of processed snacks and convenience foods.
- Stay active: Regular exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight and improve your overall health. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week, such as brisk walking, cycling, or swimming.
- Track your progress: Keep track of your weight and measurements, as well as your food and exercise habits. This can help you stay accountable and identify any areas where you may need to make changes.
Remember, maintaining a healthy weight is a lifelong journey. While GLP-1 medications can be a helpful tool for weight loss, the key to long-term success is adopting healthy habits and sticking with them over time. With the right mindset and support, you can achieve your weight loss goals and maintain a healthy weight for life.